- Pickup Truck - Chevrolet Avalanche
- Fun To Drive - Mazda MX-5 Miata
- Small SUV - Toyota Rav4
- Small Sedan - Hyundai Elantra SE
- Green Car - Toyota Prius
- Minivan - Toyota Sienna
- Best Overall Vehicle - Lexus LS 460
- Upscale Sedan - Infinity G37
- Midsized SUV - Toyota Highlander
- Family Sedan - Honda Accord
They choose these cars based on:(1) Road Tests - the vehicles must rank at or near the top of their categories which includes more than 50 individual tests and evaluations.
(2) Reliability - each car must have an average or better reliability rating based upon more then 1.4 million vehicles reported by Consumer Reports subscribers.
(3) Safety - top picks must perform adequately in overall safety tests conducted by the government or insurance industry. In addition, each must offer electronic stability control (ESC), which is a proven lifesaving feature.
My view on Consumer Reports is that overall they do a good job of evaluating cars based upon their criteria. Anyone buying a car has to consider a number of additional items styling, driveability, fun factor, brand, warranty, resale value, discounts and affordability. The bottom line is that this is guide to use! In the end result you have to be happy with the car that you have purchased!