Sunday, March 1, 2009

Hyundai Genesis


Hyundai introduced their first car the Excel in 1984. The Excel was very inexpensive at $4995, and accordingly sold 168,000 cars in the U.S. in the first year. But, owners started uncovering substantial quality control problems and sales dropped substantially.

Hyundai has come a long way since the early Excel! Hyundai has increased their quality substantially and they have one of the best warranties in the auto business.

In 2008, Hyundai introduced the Genesis sedan. I am of the opinion that the Hyundai Genesis is a paradigm shift for Hyundai. It is probably equivalent to the Lexus LS 400 introduction in 1989. Lexus subsequently increased sales exponentially and become a household name in the process.

Now Hyundai did not introduce as separate new luxury line like Lexus. But they did introduce a substantial vehicle that is now the halo car for Hyundai. Now they have to overcome the stigma of being a lower tier auto producer.

With Genesis V6 base pricing starts at $33,000 plus options, add an additional $5,000 for the V8. The V8 was voted a 10 Best motor by Wards. Both cars are an exceptional buys. The Genesis looks and drives like a more expensive car than the direct competition based on price. The Genesis was named North American Car of the Year for 2009 at the North American Auto Auto Show in Detroit.
I am of the opinion that Hyundai is going to compete with much higher end cars. A Car and Driver Road Test compared the Genesis 4.6 V8 to some high end competition like the Audi A6 4.2, Infinity M45, Lexus GS460, and Mercedes E550.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Pete .. I know the Hyundai's over here are well liked .. as a cheaper version of a higher range car .. I've never driven one .. one day I guess.

    Do you know what a "Crossfire" is? I saw one & I couldn't see the make ...

    Thanks - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilary,

    Thank you for your comment on the Hyundai Genesis! This car drives well, smooth, quiet, you would never think of it being a Hyundai. I don't think it is as good as the European cars but a great buy for the price.

    The Crossfire is a Chrysler brand vehicle that was sold form 2004 thru 2008. Under Mercedes ownership, Chrysler designed the appearance of the vehicle, but it is basically a reskinned Mercedes SL. Also, it was manufactured in Germany.

    The Crossfire is a beautiful car. The car was discontinued in 2008 due to slow sales. Which is a pity, but also a real bargain on the used car lots!


    Best Regards

    Pete

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pete .. thanks for the info re the Crossfire - no wonder I didn't know what it was .. sadly I'm not off to the used car lots!!

    You're a source of wonder with your knowledge .. but I have some aces up my sleeve!!

    All the best Hilary: Be Positive Be Happy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hilary,

    Thank you for your post! I always appreciate your comments!

    In fact, I would like to interview you about the cars in your vehicle history. I was thinking of doing a post directly about one of the your cars that was the most memorable. Just for fun! Also, I am going to be doing some of my own videos and photos.

    Best Regards

    Pete

    ReplyDelete